Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Type of films you make.

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm usually interested in making films that are at the opposite end of the current trend pendulum. Although, of course, by the time they're made, the pendulum of trend has swung back to where I was anyway and yet another one of my fantastic shorts blends into the undie landscape.

    I'm obsessed with corporate image, and why people are suckered by advertising, and why people can't see beyond their comfort zones. They are my running themes at the moment.


    ------------------
    http://www.cluscon.co.uk

  2. #22
    Inactive Member SoulJacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 30th, 2001
    Posts
    612
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica, sans serif">quote:</font><HR> If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    - Hal Abelson

    ------------------
    Jay & Silent Bob DO NOT LICK BALLS.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Eddie,

    Pulp Fiction is closer to 2 and a half hours long if I am not mistaken, and it is "about" four intertwined stories involving many characters in out of the ordinary situations, and how they react and as such, how it changes their perspective. Inspired by those old cheap pulp mags from the 30s and 40s. Dime novel type stuff, with characters you have seen hundreds of times before in situations you haven't.

    ------------------
    "Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do start to criticize him, you're already a mile away, and you have his shoes." -CEO of Stebner Getting Hit By a Car Productions Ltd.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow. You're the first person I know who actually paid enough attention to Pulp Fiction to explain it.
    All I remember is that I felt really jiped when you never actually get to see the guys brains in the floorboard of the car.

    Bummer.

    ------------------
    "I'm a vitual gold mine of original, fantastic ideas...now if I only had a pickax..."

  5. #25
    gaspode
    Guest gaspode's Avatar

    Post

    Hey, hey, it says all about originality in 'The Joy Of Work', i have a copy somewhere, but i cant be bothered to look for it. I think its something like 80% theft, 15% lack of talent & 5% second hand smoke, but i made those numbers up, i cant remember what they realy were.


    PS Alumium is the oldest spelling, this was then superceded by Aluminum, still used in America, which was then changed to Aluminium in the UK so that it fitted in with the other elements that end in ium

    ------------------
    'It comes in Pints?!'

  6. #26
    Inactive Member hairbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2001
    Posts
    136
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Gaspode.... that "80% theft, 15% lack of talent & 5% second hand smoke" talk sounds like something some stupid teacher would say in a really condescending `I've been there and failed hence so will you` tone of voice... err a bit like I did when I was havin a bad day a few weeks ago frown

    I once whent to this pep talk advertising a film schools classes in London. The entire talk basically boiled down to these two remarks...
    A) Your not really as talented as you think you are.
    B) You better keep your day job cos your a dead cert for failure in the movie industry.

    Now I don't know if they do things any different in the states but I'd imagine, with their more optimistic view on things, that a pep talk there might involve two very different points...
    A) Have faith and you WILL succeed.
    B) Don't ever doubt your talents or you`ll wash up on the rocky seas of doubt.

    Britains so lame sometimes. The true measure of originality is whether you've done it before. If you find yourself making a film just like the one you made before then originality is leaving you. But so long as whatever you're doing is new to you ... then it's original. After all YOU never did it before... just cos someone else did. Someone else climbed Everest... is it therefore a completely pointless thing for me to do it? Someone else whent backpacking through asia... does that mean I should be original and backpack around Birmingham instead?

    YOU are original and your life brings new things to life as a whole, via the way you see things and the way you experience things.

    That's probably why I hate pastiche... cos when I go to see a film I guess I'm interested in seeing what vision YOU have, see the world through YOUR eyes. If, instead, all I see is some `story` played out through a number of cinematic conventions... and you don't really bring yourself into the film at all... well it just kinda looses interest for me.

    Tarrantino, Raimi, Coen brothers... they're all making `film` films. I personally don't find them engaging. Your originality lies in your life so go and make `life` films.

    ------------------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •